Family & Children Programs
We are here to help you and your family by providing free programs to newcomer parents who are permanent residents. These programs will help make your settlement journey to your new community a positive experience.
Programs and services we provide:
- Pop-In Playtime – For parents, caregivers and their children from 2 to 5 years. Promotes active play, healthy snacks, community connection and family time in a safe and fun environment.
- Families Together – For parents and children ages 2 to 5 years. Promotes literacy and language skills of adults and pre-school kids through the use of children’s books, rhymes, songs and bookmaking activities.
Positive Discipline in Everyday Parenting (PDEP) – Support for parents and caregivers of children from birth to 17 years. Promotes positive discipline, respect, communication, and strengthening of problem solving skills.
Nobody’s Perfect Parenting – For parents with children from birth to age 6 where parents can share interests and concerns and learn about health, safety, and behavior.
Family Cooking Time – Cooking and nutrition class for families to learn economical cooking, safe food handling, nutrition facts and to connect with other newcomer families.
Gardening/Canning/Freezing – Provides the opportunity to enjoy fresh produce for the whole family. Learn how to preserve fruits and vegetables to extend their freshness throughout the year.
- Handle With Care – For parents and caregivers of children from birth to 6 years. Build a strong relationship with your child, develop your child’s self-esteem, and learn the importance of self-care to support social and emotional well-being.
- Wellness of Women (WOW) – For newcomer women. Promotes awareness on relevant topics such as sexual health, nutrition and physical and mental health.
- Sewing Classes – Special class for beginners. Learn the basics of sewing. Make your own tote bag and other special projects.
- Programs are free for parents who are permanent residents.
- Language support available.
Available at WIS Brandon
- Child care can be provided for children 19 months and older.
- Transportation available to those who qualify.
When registering for our programs, please let our team know if you need child care or transportation.
More information and registration
To find out what sessions are coming up, please go to the following locations:
Your settlement facilitator might also recommend sessions for you to attend.
If you have any questions about Family programs we offer, please use the contact form below, visit our front desk in Brandon, or call 204-727-6031 ext # 2221.
Registration information can be found on the workshop listing on our Events calendar.
Contact our Family program team
Our programs are free for newcomer families who are permanent residents. This is made possible thanks to our ongoing support from our Funders:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada